Is AI impacting the Automotive Industry?
Finding new applications of AI is not difficult, especially given the massive amount of recent developments such as automotive industry which is under the AI spotlight. They have included AI technologies in the car building process, for example, Toyota invested $1 billion in AI-based self-driving technologies, and General Motors made a partnership with IBM Watson. But how is AI transforming this industry? Here are some improvements in the automotive industry thanks to artificial intelligence technologies.
Even if there were attempts to build driverless cars starting in 1970, the lack of technology kept autonomous cars from being manufactured. Now, with the development of computers, GPS systems, and AI, self-driving cars are no longer a dream. Unfortunately, entirely autonomous cars have not made it to the showrooms yet, but companies are getting close. Tesla announced in 2016 that all the vehicles will be equipped with all the technology needed for full automation. Uber also announced that they are planning to have an automated vehicle on the road by 2021. However, the software validation and regulatory approvals are needed before this will take place.
A growing number of companies are moving in the direction of partial drive assistance by implementing features that help the driver without taking the control over the car. Collision avoidance systems, cross-traffic alerts, intelligent cruise control are some features powered by AI technology.
Cloud computing has certain advantages that make it the perfect environment for deploying AI technologies in the automotive industry. Among these are big data access and analytics, fast processing speed, and also centralized connectivity. As companies continue to develop automated technologies, cloud-based platforms will be created to support them. How can cloud-based artificial intelligence and make life easier for consumers? Some enterprises are still thinking about that question, but there are some applications already available to use or will be soon, which can do some impressive things:
- Enabling the driver to pay for the fuel from inside the car at the gas station;
- Identifying the closest restaurants similar to the ones visited by you in the past;
- Providing reminders to buy household items as the driver approach stores;
- Automatically pre-order food as the consumer drives to certain restaurants;
Internet of things
According to the latest studies, by 2020 there will be nearly 250 million cars connected to the web. These new vehicles will be equipped with plenty of smart sensors, embedded connectivity apps, and big data geo-analytical capabilities, it makes sense to have IoT as well. Here are a few ways IoT technology is impacting the industry:
- Through online software updates, manufacturers can update the vehicle with premium features;
- Connected vehicles that use IoT technology can report problems or schedule repairs;
- Dealers could identify and correct performance issues without requiring the owner to visit the shop;
- Vehicles could send data to the automotive manufacturers, which will allow designers to make improvements in the next models;
- Smart sensors placed inside the car could detect medical emergencies and automatically call for help.
Artificial intelligence and technology in general promise to revolutionize the industries. In this particular case, the automotive industry and AI will be able to create suitable vehicles for consumers and detect in short time the problems, making them more secure. Through AI capabilities we are witnessing a whole new level of excellence in the automotive industry.
If you have questions about the topic, feel free to comment in the section below.
Photo source: www.pixabay.com